Job Opening - Play Director for Go Girls! Camp
Spotlight: Girls is currently seeking PLAY DIRECTORS for temporary full-time employment for our Go Girls! Productions season from June 19 – August 18, 2017.
Compensation | $18.00-$22.00 per hour DOE, about 40 hrs. per week, working all sessions at a single site preferred (but not required).
Hours: Monday- Friday 8:30am-4:30pm and until 5:30 on the final Friday of each session
Training*: Mandatory Training days the weekend of May 27-29, 2017.
*This training is led by Co-Founders Allison Kenny and Lynn Johnson. You are paid a stipend for your time to attend and will be well-fed. In this training, not only will you learn the ins and outs of working at a Go Girls! Camp, you will also learn, practice, and strengthen the skills that will benefit your career as a teacher, teaching artist, youth worker, and girl advocate anywhere you choose to share your gifts in the world.
As a Go Girls! Camp Play Director, you will...
- Train with Spotlight: Girls Owners to learn our Go Girls! Camp™ Methodology
- Prepare curriculum and high quality learning experiences according to the Go Girls! methodology
- Lead up to 45 girls ages 5-9 through the process of devising an original play that incorporates the themes of camp, Go Girls! Culture Code and Kidpower skills
- Lead 3 age appropriate drama classes and one rehearsal per day that support confidence, collaboration and a variety of acting techniques
- Script, stage and rehearse the play
- Lead daily "Family Group" lessons that introduce experiences with our Go Girls! Culture Code
- Effectively manage a group of up to 48 girls using positive discipline techniques and relational attachment (camp ratio is 8:1)
- Work effectively with your team: Camp Mama, Music Specialist, Assistant Teachers, Expressive Artist and Middle School aged interns from the Go Girls! Leadership Team (GGLT)
- Support children to feel safe and have fun during community building, free play, snack and lunch times
- Connect daily with parents at drop off and pick up time, celebrating their children's successes and discussing challenges appropriately
- Support children to manage conflicts peacefully by facilitating “talk-it-outs”
- Build and maintain positive relationships with our site partners throughout the course of the summer
A Go Girls! Camp Play Director will have...
- At least 5 years of experience teaching theater to young children ages 5-10
- Knowledge in and respect for ensemble-based collaborative processes of creating original performance
- Knowledge in and respect for devised theater making that is movement and ensemble-based
- Flexibility: multi-tasking and managing challenges in a variety of situations is key
- Confidence: we hire artists who can project calm and confidence
- Impeccable Social/Emotional Skills: Ability to manage stress and emotional triggers, willingness to use direct communication, ask for what you need and listen to others needs
- A Curious and Reflective Mind: the kind of person who is always learning, always thinking about how you can do better, open to loving feedback
- Great Boundaries: the ability to take good care of yourself by saying no when you need to and keep all kids safe at camp
- Positive energy: Kids do best with adults who model kindness & playfulness
- “Nothing to Hide”: all employees of Spotlight: Girls are subject to fingerprinting background checks and TB testing
Fill out our online APPLICATION (right) where you can UPLOAD your teaching resume and tell us what makes you amazing.
If you seem like a great fit, you’ll be contacted to schedule 20 minute PHONE INTERVIEW with one of veteran Go Girls! Teaching Artists. This is a chance to get all your questions answered and for us to get to know more about you.
Qualified folks will be invited to attend a 30-45 minute IN-PERSON INTERVIEW with Go Girls! Co-Founder Lynn Johnson and Program Director, Chrissy Mulvihill. SKYPE interviews can be scheduled with artists and assistants who live outside of the Bay Area. These interviews are held throughout February.
Our final step in the hiring process is a CALLBACK AUDITION on Saturday, March 25th from 9:00-12:00 in Oakland. Attending this callback is a requirement for hiring. It’s lead by Co-Founders, Allison Kenny and Lynn Johnson and structured as an interactive professional development opportunity for the 30 or so artists who attend.
Final job offers are made during the week of April 3rd.