We won’t let her lose her light.
In this time of #MeToo, we say NOT EVER.
Let's raise girls to be proud of who they are and where they are from.
Let's raise sons to honor and respect girls. Let's raise humans to love and accept and celebrate all genders.
It starts with us.
Your daughter is brave, confident, beautiful, vulnerable, bossy, dramatic, shy, creative, and magic. She’s growing up in a world where violence toward women is no longer tolerated.
We all agree to speak up. To speak out. It’s gonna take all of us.
She is our world’s greatest natural resource.
Each girl shines so bright.
Together, our daughters light the way towards a safer, more equitable, and more compassionate world.
We won’t let her lose her light.
This summer, your Go Girl! will step into her light. Once she takes center stage, she won’t ever leave it.
This summer, your Go Girl! will:
- Learn to say yes to people, ideas, and experiences that light her up
- Learn to say no to people, ideas, and experiences that keep her from her light
- Learn from highly qualified teaching artists and fierce girl advocates
- Be inspired by Grammy-nominated Alphabet Rockers, best-selling author Kate Schatz, and other revolutionary artists, leaders, and entrepreneurs and changemakers
- Make plays, music, media, art, and books that empower her to take center stage in her life
- Build community with other girls & gender nonconforming kids across race and background to practice empathy, collaboration, and solving problems in peaceful and powerful ways
WHO: For rising 1st-6th grade girls and gender nonconforming kids
WHAT: There are two different Go Girls! programs depending on the age of your child
- Go Girls! Camp - Rising 1st-4th grade girls learn social and emotional skills through the arts. Girls practice theater, expressive arts, music and perform their very own play that promotes pro-social values.
- Go Girls! Productions - Rising 5th & 6th grade produce, edit, direct, and star in their own short films. Girls learn to think critically of the media they consume while creating original girl-powered media.
Click here to learn more about the culture and activities of Go Girls!
There are four 2-week sessions throughout the summer. Each session is Monday - Friday, 9am-4pm with a culminating performance and film screening on the final Friday of the session. Aftercare is available until 5:30pm.
- Session 1: June 18-29
- Session 2: July 9-20
- Session 3: July 23-August 3
- Session 4: August 6-17
Go Girls! happens in two Bay Area Locations -
- OAKLAND - North Oakland Community Charter School, 1000 42nd Street (Sessions 1-3 ONLY)
- BERKELEY - Shu Ren International School, 2125 Jefferson Avenue (Sessions 2-4 ONLY)
- Go Girls! Camp is $729 with an early bird rate of $650 when you register by February 15.
- Go Girls! Productions is $749 with an early bird rate of $670 when you register by February 15.
- Aftercare is available for an additional $75 per week (or $40 per day for drop-ins)
- Scholarships are available. Please click here for details.
- A deposit of 25% is required upon registration to hold your spot.
Go Girls! is the registered trademark and production of Spotlight: Girls, an Oakland-based B Corp that educates, inspires, and activates girls to take center stage. It was founded in 2005 by Lynn Johnson and Allison Kenny, who are partners in life and business.
Lynn is a visionary entrepreneur, speaker, girl advocate, and Co-Founder/CEO of Spotlight: Girls. She is a sought-after facilitator and speaker and serves on the National Advisory Board of Teaching Artists Guild, the Board of Directors of the How Kids Learn Foundation, and the Alameda County Commission on the Status of Women.
Allison is an award-winning blogger, author, and actor. Her first book, Starring Celia, is a chapter book about a 4th grader who stands up to bullying and becomes a Go Girl!. She also created Go Squirrel! - a series of coloring books aimed at teaching young readers complex social/emotional lessons through fun and accessible social stories. Allison shares the adventures of their queer, multi-racial, adoptive family on her blog RaisingaGoGirl.com.
Lynn and Allison live in Oakland with their 9-year-old Go Girl! and three adorable yappy dogs.
The #MyLight theme is inspired by the song My Light, written and recorded by the Alphabet Rockers on their GRAMMY-award nominated album, Rise Shine #Woke. My Light was commissioned by and co-conceived with Spotlight: Girls in 2017 to become the girl empowerment anthem our girls need and deserve.